Monday, January 25, 2010

Personal Values

What is it that you value the most in life? This is a question that few take the time to think about. However, it is crucial if you are ever to attain any degree of success in life.

Values are the things that "make us tick". If you want to know why you do something, just look at your values. Whatever you value highest is what you will follow most of the time. This is true regardless of what it is.

For example, what if you were confronted with the situation of being called into the office on a Saturday. Do you go? The answer to this question depends upon what your highest value is. If you are one who values family above all else, you will obviously choose that. On the other hand, if you career is the primary value you hold, then your Saturday will be spent at the office.

Most go through life unaware of what they value. They fail to sit down and map out what it is that means the most to them. Instead, they hold onto objects as a symbol of what they are really after. This leads to dissatisfaction since objects rarely providing lasting satisfaction. Only the fulfillment of one's values lead to a complete and happy life.

For me, freedom is one of my highest values. I place it above all else. Knowing this has allowed me to structure aspects of my life with this in mind. There are many areas which reflect this priority. At the same time, there are certain things that are present in my life which go counter to this ideal. These are the areas that I am still working on. Improvement is a lifelong challenge and structuring my life is a full time premise. My goal is to move closer each day to the eventual outcome I seek.

Spend some time thinking about what you value the most in life. It is an exercise which will net extreme rewards.

0 comments:

Post a Comment